The primary spiritual leaders of a congregation are the Pastors, who are also called overseers or elders in the New Testament. Our Pastors teach or preach the Word and shepherd the souls of those under their care (Eph. 4:11; 1 Tim. 3:2; 5:17; Titus 1:9; Heb. 13:17). Deacons, too, have a crucial role in the life and the health of the local church, but their role is different from that of the Pastors. The biblical role of deacons is to take care of the physical and logistical needs of the church so that the pastors can concentrate on their primary calling. Thus, the Deacon Team of First Baptist Church strives to serve and support the ministries and congregants of our church.
We believe the office of Deacon to be defined in Acts 6 as one of “leadership through service” as described in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1. We therefore establish the following as our Mission Statement:
• We commit ourselves to support of and involvement with the ongoing work of the local church.
• As individuals we commit to provide leadership and support to various programs and ministries of the church.
• We will strive to up-hold the Pastors in their roles of leadership and provide spiritual support for them and each other.
• As Deacons we are committed to hold up the Pastor and Ministerial Staff in our personal prayer activity.
• We will endeavor, as best we are able, to minister to those within the church who are in need, both spiritual and physical.
• We will encourage our members and each other and promote harmony and unity within the body of believers.